× This forum has been locked. Please submit new Feature Requests on GitHub: github.com/Jensen-Technologies/component-creator-issues/issues

Customizable Date Format

9 years 5 months ago #463 by Nick Gardei
Customizable Date Format was created by Nick Gardei
I would like to see an option to select/store the date format when j_calendar fields are used. As I found in several XML files the date format is hard coded for Y-m-d. If the date is not updated in ALL areas issues can arise - for example if the 'filter' fields are displaying/filtering in a different format than the stored data you can get SQL errors when selecting a date range.

A few ways you might go about this;
  • Use a predefined date format variable from the built-in language packs (DATE_FORMAT_XX, etc)
  • Create a component parameter to store the format
  • Leave the format 'hard coded', but capture the date format before the component is built (add another field to the component builder)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Russell English

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #473 by Nick Gardei
Replied by Nick Gardei on topic Customizable Date Format
As a temporary solution I used PHP 'date' and 'strtotime' functions to convert the format in my view;
<?php echo 'Term Expires '.date("m-d-Y", strtotime($item->term_exp)); ?>

Not the cleanest way to do this since I'd like to see the data in the same format everywhere, but it works for now.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Nick Gardei.

9 years 5 months ago #479 by Russell English
Replied by Russell English on topic Customizable Date Format
I'd like this aswell. It seems madness that the date format is hard coded and not part of the language file.

9 years 5 months ago #483 by Nick Gardei
Replied by Nick Gardei on topic Customizable Date Format

Joomla doesn't allow us to change the date format for each language.

I'm not sure I follow...

Joomla stores several date formats in the language files. For example 'DATE_FORMAT_LC3', which is used numerous places in templates for article publish/create dates, etc.

I'm not asking you to reinvent the wheel, just give us the option to create our own date format, then store that format string in the already created language files.
Or an even easier option is to replace your hardcoded 'Y-m-d' with an already existing date format such as  'DATE_FORMAT_LC3'. This way we can update 1 place and the format is changed in all admin/site views.

9 years 5 months ago #486 by Victor
Replied by Victor on topic Customizable Date Format
Hi Nick,

I'm Victor, back-end developer of Component Creator.

As you know, DATE_FORMAT_LC* strings are language strings, so you need to use JText::_() method to convert that from the language key to the real language string, but Joomla calendar field doesn't do that by default, so we cannot put that in the XML field. To achieve what you are asking, you need to develop your own calendar field that inherit from JFormFieldCalendar class and overrwite the _get method.

Creating a customizable date field is a big feature that we would love to implement, but first we need to be sure that it will really help a good amount of our users. We will ask in our Social networks to make sure and we will see.

I hope this message clarify your ideas about how to achieve your goal.

Best regards,

Victor.

Back-end developer on Component Creator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hakan

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds