× This forum has been locked. Please submit new Feature Requests on GitHub: github.com/Jensen-Technologies/component-creator-issues/issues

Key field different than "Id"

9 years 7 months ago #368 by sergio anachoreta
Key field different than "Id" was created by sergio anachoreta
Hi.everybody.
When I create a table, many fields are automatically created, including the "id" as a key field, auto increment.  If I change this name to"product_id" for example and then generate the component, the table is created with a "id" as key field and "product_id" as a simple field.
Is it possible to create a table with a key field named different than "id", just like "product_id"?
Thanks 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 6 months ago #416 by Omar Ramos
Replied by Omar Ramos on topic Key field different than "Id"
I tried the same thing as well and ran into the same issue...this would be a nice feature to have.

9 years 6 months ago #419 by Omar Ramos
Replied by Omar Ramos on topic Key field different than "Id"
Hi Andres,

It has definitely been a while since I wrote a component from scratch, but I'm pretty sure the Joomla conventions were flexible enough to accept a primary key field other than "ID", but I'll need to confirm as we continue our testing on our end.

The convention of adding the singular version of the table name as a prefix usually shows up in other databases I think (more commonly anyway), but currently the Nooku Framework uses it as well (but it uses more strongly as an actual convention for their framework).

I think the main thing, is as a user if it's not supported to modify the field name, maybe the ID field should not be allowed to be edited (so as to prevent confusion...because after I edited mine I didn't find out it wouldn't work until I buillt the component and attempted to install it and saw the SQL errors)?

9 years 6 months ago #428 by sergio anachoreta
Replied by sergio anachoreta on topic Key field different than "Id"
Hi Andres.
As I said before, there are many extensions using key fields rather than Id, in particular ecommerce like Virtuemart , Joomshopping and others.
If your tool allow me to use other fieldname, certainly you will increase the power of the component creator.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds