× This forum has been locked. Please submit new Feature Requests on GitHub: github.com/Jensen-Technologies/component-creator-issues/issues

Unique value field when you save the form

7 Jahre 2 Monate her #1479 von Randy Tobias
Randy Tobias antwortete auf Unique value field when you save the form
Hi. I'm having a problem with this. Is the uniqueness being enforced via code? I created a unique field, and expected the column in the table to be unique, which it doesn't appear to be. I am interacting with my component's table from an external source, and it is adding several rows with the same email address, even though I had configured that field to be unique in the component creator.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

7 Jahre 2 Monate her #1481 von Randy Tobias
Hi Andres,

That didn't really answer my question. I had wanted to know why the column in the DB is not set to unique when I mark a field as unique in the component creator. My external integrations have been modified to deal with this, but it makes my development a lot longer and makes my code far less efficient because in have to do a DB query and then and update. This is an extra DB call, plus some processing when just having the column be unique in the DB would do the same, but faster and easier. This is why I ask if there is a reason why the column in the DB is not made unique.

7 Jahre 2 Monate her #1482 von Søren Beck Jensen
Søren Beck Jensen antwortete auf Unique value field when you save the form
We use the built in Joomla method for ensuring that fields are unique which places a check in the bind method of the model. This allows Joomla to show better error messages and prevents SQL errors that would otherwise occur if we relied on the UNIQUE field in MySQL.

If you are already developing other extensions on top of the same table or allowing non Joomla tools access to modify your Joomla database tables, you are way beyond what we would consider standard use of Joomla and modifying the database table to have a UNIQUE key should not be much of an added task.

If we see more users who have this exact issue we will consider how we can improve this feature in the future.

Søren Beck Jensen
Founder, Component-Creator.com
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Randy Tobias

7 Jahre 2 Monate her #1483 von Randy Tobias
Thanks, this was the kind of answer that I was looking for. The reason why the approach was taken.

I certainly could manually update my table to add the uniqueness, but as we update the component (a lot now since we are still in development) and we develop on a test site before we move our finished products to a live site, we felt it would be safer at this point to add logic to check for and ensure uniqueness. Just too easy to miss altering the table at one crucial time and have things go wrong.

I would definitely be in favor of adding in the ability, maybe, to select an option on how uniqueness is enforced (through code or table structure) if this ends up being a reasonable possibility. Might even be interesting if you were able to provide a both option where both the binding method of the model, as well as altering the table are used.

Anyway, thank you very much for explaining the situation to me. I appreciate it.

Ladezeit der Seite: 0.176 Sekunden