× This forum has been locked. Please submit new Feature Requests on GitHub: github.com/Jensen-Technologies/component-creator-issues/issues

add new Joomla field type 'Subform'

7 år 7 måneder siden - 7 år 7 måneder siden #1409 af Randy Carey
add new Joomla field type 'Subform' blev oprettet af Randy Carey
In one of my components I just converted a couple of fields to the new field type 'subform' (introduced in Joomla 3.6, and to replace the 'repeatable' field type): docs.joomla.org/Subform_form_field_type

I am impressed with what this new type offers. The content manager can dynamically add as many items as he/she needs, quickly delete an item, and can drag-and-drop to reorder. And I am able to define the single or set of Joomla field types that exist within a the repeatable section.

The value of this field type probably exceeds what I currently envision - users are bound to come up with various applications. For one thing, it addresses a request I made a couple of months ago for the ability to reorder multiple items that I selected in a field (e.g., order a set of multiple authors, multiple images, or multiple links).

I did have to read the nascent documentation and experiment a bit to get it to work. For me, the database field type is 'text' and in the admin side I had to add some code to the table class that converts the result from a stdClass to a JSON string (for storage in the db). On the frontend I had to decode the JSON string into an object from which I got the values to display. That seemed to be all the extra coding I had to do (beyond making the 'subform' declaration in the xml file and creating a short xml file for the repeatable subform.

So there is no need to invent this functionality - rather offer it as another field type. I do realize that this would probably be a bit more challenging field type for you to implement, as the field is dependent upon a second form (the 'subform') that gets repeated by the 'subform' field.
Sidste redigering: 7 år 7 måneder siden ved Randy Carey. Begrundelse: clarity
Følgende bruger(e) sagde tak: Søren Beck Jensen, Tomasci

Venligst Log på eller Opret en konto for at deltage i samtalen

7 år 7 måneder siden #1411 af Søren Beck Jensen
Besvaret af Søren Beck Jensen på emne add new Joomla field type 'Subform'
We are definitely going to be implementing the new sub field asap. For now we have a feature freeze on Component Creator as we are hard at work developing a brand new design and interface.

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is as always very welcome.

Søren Beck Jensen
Founder, Component-Creator.com

7 år 1 måned siden #1497 af Tomasci
Besvaret af Tomasci på emne Repeatable 'Subform'
Hello.

Is there any ETA on this feature?
Or is there any tutorial on how to implement it manually?

I am making a cars database. I would like to create a repeatable field group for image, alt and title tags. And I want the images to be sortable. I understand it could be achieved using the subform?

Thanks

7 år 1 måned siden #1501 af Randy Carey
Besvaret af Randy Carey på emne Repeatable 'Subform'
Yes, this feature will allow you to define a form for fields in XML and then make those repeatable. The individual subforms (mini data records) can be easily dragged and dropped to be ordered and they will retain that order.

I did list (in my initial post) a summary of what I had to do. I declared a text field (so that the database will not limit the amount of space dedicated to this field) and then I changed the XML file (of the table) so that this text field is now a subform with all the attributes needed by this field. If you contact me through careytech.com, I will be able to share an example of my solution. If you have such an example in hand, you will surely avoid a lot of the potholes that tripped me up as I was searching for a workable implementation.
Følgende bruger(e) sagde tak: Andres Maeso

7 år 1 måned siden #1502 af Tomasci
Besvaret af Tomasci på emne Repeatable 'Subform'
Hi Randy,

I will send a request via your website.

Currently my (secondhand) car component has 3 tables: Manufacturers, Models and Cars.
  1. Manufacturer is just 1 text field for the name
  2. Models is a foreign key field to the manufacturers and a text field for the model name
  3. In cars table I have price, mileage, year of registration, ...

In the cars table I want to create a repeatable subform with 3 fields: image, image alt-tag, image title-tag

Do I understand this correctly?
I do not need an extra table (4) for the images? The repeatable subform images and data will be stored in the cars table?
I should just create 1 text field, then somehow convert this 1 field to 3 fields manually?

Many thanks! :)

6 år 6 måneder siden #1629 af Andres Maeso
Besvaret af Andres Maeso på emne add new Joomla field type 'Subform'
Hi there

Just wanted to let you know that Subforms are one of the features added in the new Component Creator 3.0 . Hope you enjoy it!

Andrés Maeso
Customer relations manager at Joomla Component Creator.

Denne e-mail adresse bliver beskyttet mod spambots. Du skal have JavaScript aktiveret for at vise den.

Tid til at oprette siden: 0.295 sekunder
Leveret af Kunena Forum

Vi we benytter cookies, så vi bedst muligt kan levere vores services. For mere information, se vores